Nomansland - Lesley Hauge
Imagine a world where there are only women and men are considered criminals. On an island called Foundland, Keller is a teenager training to be a Tracker. Trackers are expert archers and equestrians and meant to protect the shores of their island from the enemy – men.

Foundland is run by a group of powerful women that have implemented many strict rules and harsh punishments. For instance, friendships are NOT encouraged. Any prolonged conversations or quiet whispering is punished. Another thing not allowed are fads. Anytime one girl starts something like flipping her hair over her shoulder or wearing clothes a certain way the people in charge put a stop to it before the other girls start copying her.

When Keller and her fellow trainees stumble upon a buried home from the past, they are amazed to find countless hidden and forbidden treasures – teen magazines, high-heeled shoes, makeup, and beautiful clothes. The girls are determined to keep it a secret. They don’t want their leaders to confiscate the artifacts.

Keller’s world gets more complicated as she discovers some of the secrets of Foundland. Danger is everywhere. Will she be able stay ahead of those wishing to keep the island secluded and contained?

The idea behind NOMANSLAND is interesting and I was very excited about reading it. However, it didn’t live up to my expectations. It wasn’t near long enough. It ended just as the excitement started. As far as the characters go, I did like Keller, but as far as the other girls, I didn’t like them. When they started getting obsessed with the makeup and clothes in the hidden dwelling it annoyed me, like it did Keller. When it came time for punishments to be doled out, I absolutely didn’t care what happened to the girls. I don’t know if this was the intention of the author or not, but I didn’t have any emotional investment in the characters (except Keller).

If you are a fan of dystopian literature I would suggest you give NOMANSLAND a try. You may have a different experience.